Saturday 18 June 2016

Huntingdon to Wimeraux

So not a great start to the adventure, stuck in a huge queue at Dover thanks to French security checks.

Needless to say, we missed our ferry but got on one an hour later. We have used the tunnel instead of the ferry for years now and it is definitely preferable to the seething mass of humanity on the boat!
Bye bye England...

The rest of the very small group (only 4 others!) were on the correct, earlier ferry so my chauffeur dropped me off away from the busy port and I happily pedalled off on my own. 
I love this part of northern France and was as happy as the proverbial cochon dans la boue, even when the weather turned decidedly soggy.
 My favourite hill at Escalles - slightly tempted to stop for a seafood platter!

I was happily singing 'all by myself...' At this point 

26.3 miles and 1519 ft of happy undulations later, I arrived at the campsite.
Meanwhile, the chauffeur had turned into a shellfish and baguette hunter so I'm now about to tuck into the 1st feast of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment